Re: (erielack) DLW Storrs Br (was Cayuga tower)

I have often wondered too about DL&W and later EL use of the O&W tracks
and would like to know more details.

A newspaper account in March 1957, when the O&W went under, said, "a
federal judge authorized the NYC, DL&W and Erie to use O&W tracks to
provide service for shippers in certain areas.  The Lackawanna said it
will provide switching service for industries in Scranton, Utica and
Norwich, NY."

As Bill Sheppard shared in his account, the EL was still accessing parts
of the O&W in 1969 (and probably beyond).  One certainty is that these
tracks were not kept in great shape, because there were many (mostly
minor) derailments through the years on the lines.

Mike Oravec

Jim Guthrie wrote:
> Frank,
>
> Keep in mind that this portion does not show the entire route Walt
> speaks of, but it does show how the DL&W Storrs Branch was off the
> NYS&W and was isolated from the DL&W.
>
> [We call it the "Shepherd Map" because it is the 1939 version Bill
> Shepherd has available for sale; there are earlier versions of this
> that show more lines and more active lines as well.]
>
> Other customers along the NYS&W/EL era (1960s) version of all this
> would include the Chrysler plant, Mid Valley Building Supply,
> Mayflower Showcase, Wadell Coal (eat your heart out O&W fans), Pompey
> and Riverside Coal Co. The O&W all had access to these collieries at
> least, although it did not have operating rights on  the NYS&W other
> than Riverside Jct to Pompey (and in earlier years, the Johnson Branch
> which was gone by the time the O&W was abandoned).
>
> I'm not sure when the use of the O&W rights actually ended -- I think
> it was around 1960 when the O&W sold the property but the DL&W was not
> interested in purchase.
>
> The 1966 EL ETT indicates a roundabout route from Rock Jct to Dickson
> City, but no indication of Dickson City to Scranton via the
> O&W/Diamond Branch/Vine Street Connection.
>
> Can anyone shed light on dates for us?
>
> Cheers,
> Jim Guthrie
> ELHS #1296