RE: (erielack) Salt Traffic - EL Salt Covered Hopper

Mike,

> Is the fresh lettering on EL 19093 red lettering on a gray
> car?  This has to be one of the earliest post-merger repaints
> (S 11 60).  The 'S'
> stands for Susquehanna?

Yes, it certainly appears to be maroon lettering, and several of the ex-DL&W "drop frame" cars received this lettering early on. And "S" is for the Susquehanna car shops, where some of the earlier repaints were done (as well as Cleveland).

> The Erie and early EL also had several 40' box cars assigned
> to salt service at Watkins Glen for one location.  Watkins
> Glen is one of the more obscure branches, what was the salt
> traffic up there?

While we're on the topic of salt traffic, does anyone know where those Sterling Salt cylindrical hoppers came from? I've seen them in several EL freights (and Atlas did a nice model of them a few years back)

	- Paul

	The Erie Lackawanna Mailing List
	http://EL-List.railfan.net/