Re: (erielack) EL Diamond: Blast from the Past (1998)

Just my 2 cents' worth...I can't imagine that either CSX or NS, at this
point now two "generations" removed from the likes of LV, RDG, EL, not to
mention the other minor players in the Conrail system(not that EL was minor,
but it certainly was not one of the core parts of the system, as PRR and NYC
turned out to be) place much priority on protecting the trademarks of those
long fallen flags, even if they do have the rights. Without getting into a
long discourse on the invisibility of railroads in today's society, it bears
saying that the railroad industry as a group has not done much to raise its
"brand awareness" in today's world. I doubt most people who aren't fans,
customers, or employees truly have a very good idea what CSX does-except
maybe when they're stuck at a crossing. Save for things like Operation
Lifesaver, it seems the rails are doing their best to keep a very low
profile. Now, 26 years later, I'd venture even fewer have a very clear
picture of the EL, etc, except maybe in places like Hornell or Sayre. I
can't see the surviving roads going to a lot of effort to protect the
trademarks of long defunct predecessors, except maybe if they were used in
some way that was derogatory or defamatory to the present holders.

The CSX licensing agreement reminded me of a story that appeared, I think,
in Model Railroader some years ago. Seems there was a guy who was modeling a
paper mill on his layout, and  wanted to get permission from Westvaco to use
their logo on the mill in his layout. Rather that just cut the logo off a
milk carton, he wrote to them asking permission to use it. Westvaco denied
the request, sending the reply on their letterhead, in an envelope with
their logo in the corner. Our man cut the logos off the letterhead and
envelope and applied them to his mill-they were the perfect size. Touche!!!

Tom B