Re: (erielack) EL DIamond...(copyright problem examples)

Walthers' UPS models first came out with decals in gold for two different
fictional companies, that could be pieced together by the modeler to read
United Parcel Service.... but I think eventually UPS made them cease even
this.  I have one put up somewhere.  The truck itself had been available in
white metal kit form before this, so although UPS is the only user I have to
think that they dont hold a copyright for the actual truck design.

City Classics used to include decals for various gas companies for their HO
gas station kit, but Gulf in particular I remember made them stop using the
outdated logos with the kits.  Of course all you need is a certain 1963
issue of National Geographic (I forget the month.. April? one shows all
their products with logos of all sizes in the photo) to get around that, and
so much the better if you have one of those ALPS printers and can make your
own copies.

It's all about what you can get away with anymore...   run the product until
you get caught, so at least someone has them.  But it's also why you don't
see too many folks making nice accurate HO automobiles - in addition to the
tooling costs, you have to pay the automaker for the right to use their
design.. be it a new Mustang or a '59 Chevy... or even a '27 Whippet,
someone owns the design rights.

As far as the EL logo is concerned... is there a copyright on record for it?
If not seems to me the answer would be to ask someone there what happens
when a company is dissolved, as far as right to the logos.

Bill K.