(erielack) Modeling and copyrights

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Bill K. wrote:
8<----

> City Classics used to include decals for various gas companies for their HO
> gas station kit, but Gulf in particular I remember made them stop using the
> outdated logos with the kits.  Of course all you need is a certain 1963
> issue of National Geographic (I forget the month.. April? one shows all
> their products with logos of all sizes in the photo) to get around that, and
> so much the better if you have one of those ALPS printers and can make your
> own copies.

There are a lot of Gas Station memorabilia coillectors and dealers who sell
the signs online. Many of them have photos which could make decent decal
masters without needing much work. There are a bunch at:

http://www.oilsign.com/

The ALPS does a GREAT job for gold on decals. I have done a number of sets for
a guy at our club and they are sharp looking. Doing a UPS set should be a
pretty easy job. The ALPS has its limitations when doing anything which isn't
pur black, white, red, yellow or blue. In the smaller scales such as N and HO
the dither can be noticable under close examination. Layering can help with
some colors, but it takes a lot of experimentation and wasted decal paper.

Henry

J. Henry Priebe Jr.       Blue Moon President & Network Administrator
root_@_bluemoon.net         www.bluemoon.net - Blue Moon Internet Corp
V.90, X2 & K56flex        www.railfan.net  - The Railfan Network