Re: (erielack) EL DIamond...(copyright problem examples)

A quick search of the US Patent and Trademark Office site
(http://www.uspto.gov/main/trademarks.htm) shows that neither "Lackawanna",
"Erie Lackawanna", nor "Erie" appear to have registered marks that show up
in the database. However, this does not mean that the mark is free and clear
for use. This part of intellectual property law is very fluid, especially
right now. In the past, an individual could use, for non-commercial
purposes, almost any copyrighted material. Thus, I can make a decal for a
railroad, apply it, and run the car all day under the fair use provisions. I
can't sell it without permission, because that is commercial use. Today, the
definition of fair use is being modified and revised in Congress, primarily
due to the Internet and digital recording. Because of recent changes in
copyright law (the Disney amendments), copyrights have been extended, and
owners are able to be much more aggressive in protecting their copyrights
and marks.

Michael Mang