RE: (erielack) Preservation efforts, was: EL SDP45 sold to Museum ....

Robert John Davis wrote:

> > I don't think "care enough" to bid is a fair statement.
>
> I think "care enough" is fair, Paul. It reflects the hard
> work, sweat and
> care to make these projects come true. There are very few
> Bennet Levin's and
> Ross Rowland's in the world, so usually it takes a couple two
> three people
> who care to lead the charge.

I won't comment about the "Ross Rowland" part of that statement. :)

> When the news of the EL unit came up, no one stepped forward
> to care about
> it like the EBT guys did.
>
> I think Tim Stuy and his diner guys cared enough to make that
> project move
> forward.

"His diner guys" consist primarily of members of THIS VERY LIST. (yours truly is ELDCPS Treasurer and a Director). Obviously, there are a LOT of people on this list who care an awful lot! I think it's unfair and demeaning to list members to say that "no one stepped forward to care about it", in reference to the SDP45. The Diner was a much "rarer" target and as such was probably more important to save than the SDP (of which many still exist, some operating)  The list members cared, and the Diner is saved. All these projects take a lot of hard work and effort, but it comes down to MONEY. Fortunately, the Diner had a fixed price. The SDP45 DIDN'T.

> The point is, saving railroad equipment is a huge task.
> Wishing results in
> nothing. Caring results in success.

Very true, but editorializing something that has already happened if you yourself did nothing to further the effort gets up nothing. Instead of editorializing, spearhead an effort to do something. Wishing results in nothing - quite true. Editorializing, similarly, results in nothing.

And those are MY $0.02 :)

	- Paul